Personal Access for Individuals
How will I ever understand the depths and nuances of the Qurʾan’s text or its early manuscripts?
We’ve asked ourselves that, too. Many researchers studying the Qurʾan are wrestling with a complicated, sometimes technical Arabic text. Often this is not their native tongue. Few automated tools are available to search out words and word forms in the Qurʾan and none offer the ability to search multiple words, affinities between words, the development of words from the Meccan to Medinan portions of the Qurʾan and repeating formulas of words occurring multiple times throughout the text.
Likewise, few opportunities exist for examining early manuscripts of the Qurʾan to see how its texts have developed over time or the development of its orthography without traveling from place to place to see the texts in person.
It didn’t exist, so we built it.
Our founders also experienced this lack of access to sophisticated software tools, so they built Qurʾan Gateway. This powerful tool offers the ability to do both sophisticated textual analysis and manuscript examination, all in one place.
With access to our site, you can:
- Search Qurʾanic text by root, lemma, exact inflection, case, form, gender, number or many other criteria.
- Search single or multiple terms.
- See results in a beautifully laid out display with the Arabic script, English transliteration of the Arabic sounds, and choice of several English translations, all on the same display.
- Hover over any Arabic word to reveal a full parsing, then drill down further to see more details or expand your search
- Search the affinities and relationships between words used in the Qurʾan.
- Limit a search to just Meccan or Medinan Suras.
- Reference an exhaustive dictionary of Qurʾanic words or consult a choice of open-source lexica.
- Explore over 6,600 formulas of 3-, 4-, or 5-word phrases that appear multiple times in the text.
- See and search and extensive database of scribal corrections in early Qurʾan manuscripts, in most cases with photographs and detailed descriptions.
- Chart results of your searches and studies. Freely copy that chart for use in papers and presentations.
- Customize Qurʾan Gateway with your personal search history, bookmarks, and tags.
- And much more…
Likewise, you can examine over 300 early Qurʾanic manuscripts, many with accompanying photographs to examine:
- The contents contained within each manuscript.
- The development of script and orthography over time.
- Scribal changes that have been made over time.
- Links from the text itself to manuscripts that have changed.
All this is available to anyone interested in a world-class tool for studying the Qurʾan and for less than 50 cents a day.